Members of the 419th Fighter Wing who are currently deployed or preparing to deploy are affected by the 60-day stop movement enacted March 25 by Secretary of Defense Mark Esper.
The order, which applies to all Department of Defense uniformed and civilian personnel and their sponsored family members overseas, aims to further prevent the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), to protect U.S. personnel, and preserve the operational readiness of our global force.
“I know this isn’t easy news for our deployed reservists or their families who are waiting for them to get back home,” said Col. Regina Sabric, 419th FW commander. “This order is meant to protect everyone, both here and overseas, and our reservists are trained to be reactive and resilient in any circumstance. These are unprecedented times, but our Airmen have always answered their nation’s call, and this is no different.”
Building upon previously enacted movement restrictions governing foreign travel, permanent change of station moves, temporary duty and personal leave, this stop movement order impacts exercises, deployments, redeployments and other global force management activities. Approximately 90,000 service members slated to deploy or redeploy over the next 60 days will likely be impacted by this stop movement order.
As for those slated to deploy in the coming weeks, Sabric said the 419th FW will move forward in preparing them for departure for when the stop movement order is lifted.
“The wing continues daily operations and will hold its monthly Unit Training Assembly April 4-5 for a limited number of mission essential personnel to conduct essential flying operations and conduct pre-deployment readiness,” Sabric said. “As reservists, we are called to be ready to protect and defend the nation and the mission will continue.”
Those in attendance during the UTA will maintain social distancing and will routinely sanitize work areas and shared equipment as outlined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Given many of the deployed reservists are part-time military personnel who hold fulltime jobs in the local community, Sabric also thanked their employers.
“We realize employers have already made sacrifices to support their individual reserve member’s service and current deployment,” she said. “We greatly appreciate their continued patience as their Citizen Airmen are called to take even more time away from their civilian jobs during this unprecedented effort to protect the health and safety of our nation during this time.”